Two men indicted on assault of NYPD lieutenant in Kingsbridge


Charges were announced for the two Westchester men arrested for assaulting a police officer at a Kingsbridge subway station last month.

District Attorney Darcel Clark announced the two 24-year-olds, Brian Innocent and Marquise Webb, were indicted on first-degree assault and additional charges for apparently punching and kicking an NYPD transit lieutenant at the West 238th Street subway station.

“New Yorkers must be able to use public transportation in safety,” Clark said in a press release Dec. 19. “The defendants not only allegedly jeopardized the safety of straphangers going about their commute, they also allegedly brutally attacked an officer who was trying to diffuse a dangerous situation, which is his job.”

Lt. Gypsy Pichardo of Transit District 3 was responding to a fight on a northbound No. 1 train at the West 238th Street station around 8:55 p.m. on Nov. 11. An MTA conductor told police four males were engaged in a dispute with another group. By the time Pichardo arrived, that second group was gone. Pichardo asked Webb and Innocent to leave the station and, according to the investigation, they refused and tried to enter another train.

Pichardo attempted to arrest the two men but was allegedly punched and stomped on by them. The two were later apprehended by the 50th Precinct at the West 225th Street station. At the scene police recovered a knife, box cutter and a straight razor.

As for Pichardo, he received eight stitches around his eye, suffered impaired sight, swelling and bruising to the face and has difficulty with balance when walking, read Clark’s release.

Innocent of New Rochelle and Webb of Yonkers received charges for both first-degree assault and second-degree assault, assault on a police officer, second-degree gang assault, third-degree assault, second-degree obstructing governmental administration, resisting arrest, and criminal possession of a weapon.

The duo were indicted at the Bronx Supreme Court in front of Justice Kim Parker. Their bail was set at $5,000 cash and $20,000 bond. They are due back in court on Feb. 27.

DA Clark thanked 50th Precinct Officer Kyle Martin for their work on the case.


50th Precinct, assault, officer, Darcel Clark, Marquise Webb, Brian Innocent, subway station