Work may soon resume at 3991 Saxon Ave. in Van Cortlandt Village after a new owner filed permits last week for a six-story residential building.
A pre-war brick dwelling on the property came down in late 2021, leaving a 4,100-square-foot demolition site that has gone unchanged for the better part of two years.
The previous owner planned to erect an apartment building, but the project never broke ground. Administrative penalties for illegal occupancy dating back to 2012 remain unpaid and unresolved.
Brooklyn-based developer Solomon Schwimmer snapped it up in March for $1.2 million.
He is named as the owner on new building permits filed May 23. The updated plans are much the same as the previous owner’s proposal.
Designs drawn up by Anton Tihonichev of AT-Design show a six-story building containing 17 apartments.
It will rise 70 feet, reaching approximately the same height as its historic next-door neighbor at 74 Van Cortlandt Park South — Building 6 of Amalgamated Housing Corp.
The proposed building will contain laundry facilities and storage for 10 bicycles in the cellar, according to the permits. The roof will feature a terrace and outdoor recreation rooms, plus nine additional bicycle storage spaces. Zero parking spaces are included in the permits.
The property is at the end of a row of pre-war homes nestled at the center of the Amalgamated campus. Century-old brick co-op buildings wrap around the rest of the block.
These were recorded in city property records:
• 2543-67 Decatur Ave. (a portfolio of six multi-family walk-ups containing a total of 98 units) – QC Decatur LLC to ICP Decatur LLC for $9,563,938
• 204 W. 238th St. (a single-story commercial building with six storefront units) – 238 Street Holding LLC to 216 Riverdale Holdings LLC for $3,200,000
• 4745 Grosvenor Ave. (a 4,288-square-foot home in the Fieldston Historic District) – Daniel Hort to Michael Fendrich for $1,975,000
• 4543 Delafield Ave. (a 3,020-square-foot home in the Fieldston Historic District) – Rhona Edelman-Sharp to The SDS Foundation for $1,800,000
• 2690 Heath Ave. (a two-family building) – Luz M. Alvarez to SHG 2690 Heath LLC for $870,000
• 370 W. 262th St. (a single-family townhouse) – Esther Schweitzer to Cesar O. Delgado for $835,000
• 640 W. 237th St. (a unit at The Solaria Condominium) Riverdale Heights I LLC to Julie Hyman for $797,000
• 3028 Kingsbridge Terrace (a three-family walk-up) – Luis G. Mendoza to Zaid Ekwaneen for $790,000
• 2921 Heath Ave. (a two-story commercial building on a 2,250-square-foot lot) – Herman M. Winkler as executor to 2921 Heath Ave LLC for $700,000
• 3021 Corlear Ave. (a 1,152-square-foot single-family dwelling) Tammi L. Cambrelen to Corlear Creative LLC for $700,000